Rajma Curry (Red Kidney Beans Curry) is very popular North Indian cuisine. Serve Rajma with plain boiled rice as Rajma-Chawal is mouth watering combination. Rajma curry is very popular dish especially in every home in Punjab.
- 2 cups – red kidney beans soaked overnight
- 2 medium onion(s) finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- ½ tbsp asafoetida
- ½ tbsp turmeric powders
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 2 big sized tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powders
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves (for garnishing)
Method of making Rajma Curry:
- Drain the soaked red kidney beans and wash them well. Place them in a pressure cooker (for speedy cooking). Add the water and some salt. cook on high level. After one whistle, cook it on low level for about 10 minutes or till the beans are soft.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium level and crackle the cumin seeds. Add the bay leaves (optional), asafoetida and chopped ginger-garlic. Fry briefly. Add the chopped onions and fry till they are golden brown.
- Add all the spice powders except Garam Masala and Cumin powder. Add the chopped tomatoes. Fry till the oil separates. Add the cooked red kidney beans along with its stock, sprinkle salt, mix well and cook on medium level for about 15 minutes.
- Add the Garam Masala and Cumin Powder. Cover and cook on medium level for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Rajma Curry is ready to serve with hot boiled rice.