Tomato Rasam is very popular south Indian recipe that you can have it with rice. The tomato rasam is very easy to make and it is also very less time consuming. Here we are sharing very easy steps to make instant yummy tangy tomato rasam.
Cooking time – 25 minutes
Serves – 4
- 2 – Tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp of cooked and mashed toor dal
- 1 tsp of ghee
- 1 tsp of roasted cumin (jeera), powdered or crushed
- 1 tsp of red chilli powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp of black mustard seeds
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper, crushed
- 1/4 tsp of hing / asafoetida powder
- A pinch of sugar
- Chopped coriander leaves, for garnish
How to Make Tomato Rasam:
- Soak the tamarind in one cup warm water for 15 mins. Extract juice
- Place this in a pan and add chopped tomatoes and crushed garlic to it
- Add 2 more cups of water and bring to boil. Then lower flame to simmer
- Add the crushed cumin and pepper along with the chilli powder, turmeric and some salt
- Continue to simmer until the tomatoes are completely cooked and the tamarind has lots its raw smell.
- Add toor dal and sugar. Mix well and remove from fire
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Heat the ghee in a smaller pan and add the mustard seeds. When they pop, add the hing and switch off flame. Dunk this mixture into the rasam and stir well
- Serve hot with rice or drink it up as a soup.